Friday, April 24, 2009

The vision starts to take shape.

Alright, I know I have been saying I have been working on the back yard for some time now, and I have been. In fact I have spent the majority of my days off working on it or another part of the house. Finally, I can say it is starting to really take shape now. There is a lot more left but I believe I will be taking a break from it for awhile now. I first saw the back yard, it is small, but most yards are here, and I wondered what I could do to make it better, maybe a little more inviting and peaceful. I thought that I would like to have some grass but can't do the whole thing that way. So some gravel and grass, yet I wanted a more unique way of separating the two than some pavers or blocks. So I figured we could put in a dry creek that would work as a divider between the two, and would also help funnel water during the 2 months of monsoon season where it rains everyday. After 30 seconds of trying to dig I realized I was in for quite a chore. The ground is almost a hard clay with so many rocks that you have to use a pick axe. So after days of picking and digging I had the beginning of the creek. Long story short, it took 5 tons of river rock to make it, 3 tons of gravel to fill in the far side, 3 tons of tri mix dirt to prep for sod, and a lot of trips with the wheelbarrow to get it all back there. Today I finally got to put the sod down. I will let you judge if it was worth it.

4 comments:

michaelangelo said...

Thanks alot, Brother. Now the rest of us have wives with very high expectations of our efforts in the yard, how fair is that? Seriously though, it looks great. I don't envy all those wheelbarrow trips from the driveway hauling tons of rocks. We sure miss you.

CoLa said...

looks good bro. If we were closer I would've helped ya. Its good to see Baxter has a little grass now to poop on.

The pictures look good. Except maybe the last one ;) you a little beat.

Andrew said...

Thanks guys, glad you like it. I think it looks way better, makes it more relaxing to be in the back yard.

And yes, I was beat, dead tired. Will be awhile before I start the next project.

Jessica said...

wow! It looks great! Happy Birthday too!