Thursday, February 19, 2009

Who Am I?

Have you ever wondered "Who Am I?" I have, at night, when I can't sleep. Or when I am stuck at the station during post academy days, they cage my physical body but they can't trap my mind. I allow it to wander freely and hope it comes back to me. Today my mind stumbled upon the question of "Who am I." It's been bouncing around in my head ever since I was a child and was taught the song "I am a child of God." Well that's great. But there has got to be more to it than that. I am made up of so many things. The values and morals my parents taught me. The strategies and tactics sports taught me. The ethics learned in making life's many decisions. The yin and yang, my good and bad. There is a darkness in each of us, and if you think there is not then you run a great risk of letting it loose. Our job is to contain it. Each day we are confronted with choices, those choices decide who you are and will become. What you choose everyday sways you one way or another. You are never just you, you are always changing. Becoming something new, be it good or bad. You have to constantly be aware of every choice you make, lest you find yourself someone you would rather not be.

With my mind free to probe the depths of who I am I decided to start with some basics. A little study of etymology and onomatology. Andrew means; manly, brave, courageous. Andrew was also the first apostle chosen. While Legion is not typically given as a name it is used as a military or semi military unit trained for combat. It can mean a large number or a multitude. Lange from the English origin means long and from the Dutch origin means tall. There are 17 letters, 7 vowels and 10 consonants, in my full name. Oddly there are also 17 letters, 7 vowels and 10 consonants, in my wife's full name. (A perfect match) But my name is not who I am.

So I start to really think. Am I who I really want to be? Am I even headed in the right direction? If I haven't learned who I am, how am I supposed to show a child who they should be? When the time comes can I be the parent I hope to be? Will that time ever come? I have learned a lot with this new job. So much of it so very important to just survive in the environment I am immersed in everyday. This experience has given me an opportunity to grow and expand. To find out so much about myself. Being pushed to the limits, to the edge, allows you to look down inside your soul and see the real you. And for now I am glad for who I am. And I realize that who I am isn't just me at all, its my wife, my family, my friends. Without them I am nothing, no one. When I look deep inside I see you. I am so thankful for you all. So I stop thinking of Who Am I, and I start thinking, who are you? Because you, you are everything to me.

I love you all.

7 comments:

Jill Stones said...

I hope I am a part of you, but for sure your Heavenly Father is. The gospel is so important in my life and I am thankful for a worthy preisthood holder as a husband. As you are pondering becoming a parent here is a word of advice; have the Spirit in your home. Pray together everyday because the challenges you see in your enviroment are multiplied with a child. I can promise you, you can't do it without the Lord's help. I have tried and it doesn't work. If you think I am preachey,sorry, but I just am offering sisterly advice. I have fallen and it is a long road back up! Love ya Jill

Jessica said...

Wow-all that was very well written. I have pondered that question so much and I know that it has been the reason of so many of my problems, because I couldn't figure that question out. In fact-I'm still trying to figure it out! Aren't we all though! You are just so great! I miss you!

Andrew said...

Yes, very preachy sis. But good advice none-the-less. Thanks I appreciate it. And of course you are a part of me. You are why I have repressed memories of my childhood. jk.

Jill Stones said...

Hey Bop, I hope you don't think I was saying you won't be good parents, I know you will be. I just wanted to share my thoughts with you and maybe help in your search for "andrew" :)I love you and in no way consider myself perfect infact that is why I shared my beliefs with you because knowing I am a child of God has brought peace and comfort throughout my life.

michaelangelo said...

Hey, warm weather Brother! Family blogs are great because I've often wondered the very same thing, "Who is Andrew"? Being part of a large family is a wonderful blessing, but as the eldest child it can be frustrating too because you leave home just as your younger siblings are starting to get interesting instead of just being cute.

Even when you were small you were a voracious reader and you loved to describe the stories you were reading. I remember driving somewhere with you in the back seat as a newly married couple; Vanessa and I both marveled at your ability to expound and pontificate! :) You could maintain a constant flow of words throughout an entire 8-hour journey with nary a pause and it was all good stuff! It seems a little of that carried over into writing, as you've become a fine writer as well. (Remember, I missed your newspaperman days in high school!)

Keep writing, keep thinking, especially in your line of work. Don't lose sight of the fact that those you pursue are your brothers, with the same thoughts about themselves, struggling with the same issues, nurturing the same hopes and dreams (but often without the light and knowledge you have been blessed with). Treat them with humanity and love whenever possible, as our Brother would do.

Lastly, remember the darkness in each of us you describe is only what we have allowed in during the course of our lives. We are not born with darkness, our souls come from the purest light, that is how we are born. The darkness we allow in during our lives we can let go of during out lives. I believe our job is not to contain, but to choose. When you choose the light there is no room for darkness. The key is consistency in our choices. Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Choose your treasure wisely. Think on the covenants you have made. In your moments of calm and peace, ponder the things you treasure and make certain your heart is seeking after that which is light and truth. You cannot both love and hate something at the same time, that is a false teaching of the world.

I love you, Brother.

Andrew said...

Thanks for your insite brother. The age difference between us always made it kind of hard to relate to you. I didn't know you for so long, all I knew was the many trophies of yours taking up a whole wall downstairs. You have so many gifts and talents, everything seemed to come so easy to you. Guess I just had to settle with being really, really, really good looking. lol.

I totally agree with being born from the light. I am trying hard to stay closer to it. This job is great, I love it. But unfortunately you see a lot of darkness. You try to stand for right, and reason yet all you see is wrong. From the way people are treated to the way they treat you. People spit at you, throw rocks at you, try to knife you. Even shoot at you from across the border. You meet mothers that pay great sums of money to be guided to a better life and they get raped and left behind to possibly die. It breaks my heart finding a young mother and 2 year old child stranded in the desert. So I thank the lord that I am given the chance to help. To keep the drugs from drowning our youth and loved ones. I like to think that I make a difference, but it is overwhelming sometimes.

Thank you for your kind words. They help. I miss you and look forward to visiting you and your fam. I will teach your chickens self defense, no need to build them fortresses then. You are welcome to visit anytime as well.

Jeff, Wendy, and Austin said...

Holy Crap. What is happening to my family? They are all getting philisophical on me. BARF! It is interesting to see how well each of my siblings can articulate themselves with the written word. Me? K.I.S.S. Keeping it simply stupid. Ha ha. Must be getting dragged down to my 9 year old's level. Although, I fear, he is alot like his uncle Andrew. He can talk your ear off about anything. I do recall Dad being really good at stories too. I must say that having kids around sure helps keep "darkness" out. They seem to be beacons in the dark. Thanks for sharing. You might want to keep your brain a little closer to home....Aus says aliens like brains.