Friday, August 27, 2010

Big Blessings in Small(ish) Packages

There is so much to say, and I just don't think I have all the right words. I'll try but will likely fail to convey the emotional experiences of the last five weeks or so.

Gabriel Legion Lange was born on Tuesday July 27, 2010 at 8:00 pm on the spot. He weighed in at 9 pounds 12 ounces and was 21 inches long. He came four days before my due date via an unplanned C-Section. Turns out his sweet head was just too big for my body. I'll get into the details here in a bit. He is now 4 weeks old and we will have an update on weight and all that on Monday at his next appointment. But for now, Gabe is just as sweet and loving as can be. He sleeps for 3 or 4 hours at a time (longer at night!), rarely fusses and loves to be snuggled and loved on. He smiles spontaneously, loves to kick his legs and pump his arms. We predict he will be our "gentle giant," just a good natured, easy going kid. We are totally in love with this little boy!!

So the labor and delivery story....it was a doozy. Nothing too dramatic, it just didn't turn out the way we hoped it would. Doesn't matter though, Gabe is here and healthy and so am I and in the end that's all that matters. I was admitted to the hospital for a scheduled induction on Monday July 26 at about 3:00 pm. I needed some additional medication before we started the pitocin and it required an overnight stay. The Pitocin was started Tuesday morning and we were on our way to finally meeting our little man. Everything was going well, I had my epidural and was feeling great. I was dialating just fine, but Gabe's head just wouldn't move down. I labored til about 7:00 pm and that' s when the doctor decided that I wasn't going to be able to push Gabe out on my own. His head was stuck and wasn't coming out on it's own. Our only option was a C-Section. That was not what I hoped for, but based on multiple conversations with my doctor prior to delivery day, we knew that this was a possibility and most likely the reality. So while we were a little bummed, at this point in the day we were just exhausted and ready for the baby to be here. Off we went to the operating room. By this time I had had two epidurals and was ready for a spinal block. It was so difficult for me to stay awake during the surgery and I don't really remember a whole lot of what took place. I remember being very cold, shaking a lot, and the doctor and nurses being amazed at just how big Gabe was. I also remember the nurse stopping with Gabe to let me see him and kiss him before she rushed him into the nursery. After that, it's all very very hazy. Turns out, Gabe's umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and he had some trouble breathing when he first came out. He required some oxygen in the nursery but everything was fine. They stitched me up and took me back to my room but it was a while before I actually got to see and hold Gabe in my arms. In the meantime, Andrew was with him, watching him get his first bath and all that. I finally got to see Gabe at around 10 that night. I was so happy to see his little face and kiss him!! I've never fallen in love so quickly! He was finally here, the squirmy little thing that had been kicking me for the last several months. I couldn't believe that he had fit inside my stomach somehow.

Babies are absolute miracles! I can't explain the emotions that I felt. It was all so overwhelming, the rush of love, the confusion of not knowing what to do, the amazement that he is yours and he's going home with you whether or not you're ready. Because of my spinal block I couldn't move for about 24 hours so Andrew had to do everything, change the diapers, bring me the baby, get me water. Fatherhood came to him so naturally, I was so impressed! He was the one who named Gabe. He said when he saw him in the operating room, he just knew he was meant to be Gabriel. And it's perfect. He's such a strong little boy and he needed a strong name. It was meant to be.

The dogs have taken to Gabe pretty well. They're a little confused as to why they can't play with him but overall they have done really well. Gabe isn't bothered at all by their playing or barking, which is great because it seems like they are always doing one or the other. They are very protective of their little Gabe and like to check on him wherever he is.

Like I said, Andrew has been a great daddy so far. Like there was any doubt. He helps with diapers and snuggling and is the official swaddler. Gabe loves it when Daddy swaddles him. He's a little burrito, so cute and warm. Andrew's other specialty is bath time. He is very gentle and sweet with Gabe, I just love it! The hardest part for Andrew is just leaving him every day to go to work. I know he misses Gabe very much and is always amazed at how much he's changed while he's at work. I try to send him pictures every day so he can see what we're up to at home.

Motherhood has been great so far. This kid is so easy to love and he is such an easygoing baby that it's been a very natural transition. I know it's not always going to be like this, so I am enjoying it while I can. I get a few more weeks off from work but I can't imagine leaving Gabe, so I'm trying not to think about it too much. I really am loving this motherhood stuff. I don't mind getting up once (sometimes twice) a night to feed and change him. I don't mind the smelly poop or the burp ups. It's all so worth it. We waited for SO long to get pregnant that it just doesnt matter! He's perfect to us, no matter what!!

Gabe has already brought so much love and joy to our home. He has a very sweet little spirit about him. He has been the best gift I've ever gotten and I am so grateful for him. We are so lucky that he is our son and that we get to be his parents. Gabe is such a miracle and we are so blessed.

5 comments:

Julie Anne said...

You are always so great with words! I appreciate and enjoyed reading your story so much! It's actually a comfort for me as I worry what things will end up being like when we have our little one. You two sound like AMAZING parents and deserve the best! I'll cross my fingers he stays super laid back and easy going baby for you! That would be great!

Katey said...

Congrats on the baby! Soak it all in! It will never be the same again. It's such a magical time. Glad to hear you are all doing so well!

Jill Stones said...

What a beautiful birth story, you need to copy that to Gabes baby book. I loved it. I love hearing the love of your little family. It's amazing, nothing can prepare you for the amount of love and compassion that comes with birth. He is blessed with great parents. We love him!!

Jeff, Wendy, and Austin said...

Seems like just awhile ago I was saying the same thing. The love we hold for our children is so amazing. It makes me realize how much our Heavenly Father loves us to bless us with such special angels. We love you guys and cannot wait to see this beautiful baby in person.

Ashley said...

Congratulations!! Glad he's here safe and sound and it seems you're feeling well and loving being a mom!! Enjoy him while he's so little, it's such a fun few months when they're first born